Breast Lift Surgery Without the Scars
By Coastal Cosmetic | May 01, 2019 | Blog, Breast Augmentation, Breast Reduction
If you’ve noticed that your nipples point downward and sit below the crease underneath your breast or if you’re just not happy with the shape of your breasts when wearing a bra, you may have considered a breast lift procedure. A breast lift procedure works by removing excess, stretched skin and tissue and reshaping the breast to restore a firmer, perkier, and more youthful breast. Those considering a breast lift commonly desire to increase the aesthetic look of their breasts, but worry about the tradeoff when it comes to scarring. Although this is a viable concern, there are many techniques available to patients today to reduce the amount of scarring, leaving you with beautiful, perky breasts.
Breast Lift Techniques
Breast lift surgery has evolved to a point where there are many viable and skilled techniques to consider when planning your procedure. Each technique is different in degrees of effectiveness and scarring, so it is important to educate yourself on each to choose the most ideal technique for your surgery.
- The crescent lift is popular among those who have very minimal sagging to correct. This technique forms an incision halfway around the top half of the edge of the areola, providing minimal scarring in comparison with most of the other techniques. However, this technique is less frequently used, and usually only in cases where a patient is also having a breast augmentation.
- The peri-areolar or “donut” lift can correct mild sagging with only a single scar around the entire areola. Like the crescent lift, this technique can also be used in conjunction with breast augmentation surgery. This lift is useful in reducing areola size.
- The vertical or “lollipop” lift is one of the most popular techniques used in breast lift surgery as it can remove excess skin, while shaping the entire breast with the most minimal scars possible. This lift technique includes a peri-areolar incision similar to the donut lift in conjunction with a vertical incision from the bottom of the areola to the inframammary fold, creating a scar similar to a lollipop.
- The inverted T or “anchor” lift is the most invasive and effective technique that is typically performed when patients are undergoing a breast lift and reduction. It involves a similar incision as the lollipop lift with another incision along the breast crease. While this technique results in the greatest amount of scarring, it is able to remove a significant amount of sagging tissue and excess skin and can result in the best reshaping of the breasts.
- The scarless lift is a great alternative for women who are seeking a small lift without noticeable scars. This procedure involves using a mesh of surgical threads sewed in through small incisions along the collarbone. The mesh is lead under breast tissue and anchored back onto the collarbone, creating an internal bra of sorts. The downside to this technique is that it provides minimal lift, so the scarless lift is not a viable option for many seeking a breast lift procedure.
How Do I Ensure No Scarring?
As with most surgeries, there will always be some degree of scarring to an invasive procedure, regardless of which technique is used. Although the amount of scarring you will experience largely depends on how much breast reshaping you desire, your surgeon can discuss and recommend which technique would be best in fulfilling your ultimate goals. In addition, while there are scars associated with any breast lift procedure, these scars will soften and fade over time if post-operative care instructions are followed. In the meantime, they are easily concealed by bras and swimsuits.
The skilled team at Coastal Cosmetic Center is proud to offer breast lift procedures to the people of Florida. To inquire for more information or to schedule a consult, contact our office today. Costal Cosmetic Center is conveniently located near Jacksonville, Fleming Island, and the surrounding areas of Northeast Florida.